Unleashing the Secrets: Top Flight Booking Tips for Your Next India Travel
India is one of the busier travel destinations for many tourists from around the World. In this post, we’ll explore some key facts about fight booking & traveling to India, in general, and most importantly cover aspects to do with planning your trip to India, seasons to book for lower fare tickets and peak seasons, etc.
If you already know the reason why you’re looking to travel to India you are ahead of the curve. 🙂 you can skip this section and go straight into the article, but for those curious ones as to why people usually travel to India, here is our take below.
Top reasons why people love to travel to India
India is a vast and diverse country that offers a wealth of experiences to travelers. Here are some of the top reasons why people go to India:
Cultural and Historical Attractions: India is home to some of the world’s most iconic landmarks, including the Taj Mahal, the Red Fort, and the Qutub Minar. Travelers visit India to experience its rich cultural heritage and explore its fascinating history.
Spirituality and Yoga: India is known as the birthplace of yoga and attracts many visitors who are seeking spiritual growth and self-discovery. The country is home to numerous ashrams, temples, and meditation centers, and travelers can participate in yoga retreats and spiritual ceremonies.
Food and Cuisine: Indian cuisine is world-famous for its flavors, spices, and diversity. Travelers come to India to indulge in its delicious street food, dine at high-end restaurants, and learn how to cook traditional dishes. This is my Favorite! 🙂
Adventure and Wildlife: India offers a range of outdoor activities, from trekking in the Himalayas to going on a safari in one of its national parks. Travelers can spot tigers, elephants, and other exotic wildlife, and experience thrilling adventures like white-water rafting and paragliding.
Festivals and Celebrations: India is a country of festivals, with celebrations happening throughout the year. From Diwali to Holi to Durga Puja, travelers come to India to witness these colorful and vibrant events and experience the country’s unique traditions and customs. more on this topic coming up at the end.
General things to keep in mind while planning a trip to India
Traveling to India can be an exciting and enriching experience, but it’s important to keep in mind a few important things to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip:
- Valid travel documents: You will need a valid passport and possibly a visa to enter India. Make sure to check the entry requirements for your country and obtain the necessary travel documents before your trip.
- Health and safety precautions: India has a different climate, culture, and cuisine, so it’s important to take certain health and safety precautions. These may include getting vaccinations, taking medications, drinking bottled water, and avoiding street food or tap water.
- In addition, ensure that you check the Indian government website for tourism and the U.S. for vaccination requirements, as they keep changing based on various factors.
- Cultural sensitivity: India is a diverse country with various religions, languages, and customs. It’s important to be respectful of local customs and dress appropriately, especially when visiting religious sites.
- Transportation: India has a vast and complex transportation system. It’s important to research your options and book reliable transportation, especially when traveling long distances or during peak seasons.
- Money: India’s currency is the Indian rupee, and it’s important to carry enough cash or have access to ATMs. Some places may not accept credit cards, especially in rural areas.
- Communication: English is widely spoken in India, but it’s still a good idea to learn a few basic words and phrases in the local language. It’s also important to have a working phone and internet connection for emergencies and communication with locals
Overall, India can be a wonderful and exciting destination, but it’s important to do your research, plan ahead, and take necessary precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip.
Flight booking tips for India
- The busiest season for flight tickets traveling to India from the US is generally from November to February, which coincides with the winter season in India. This is a peak travel time because many travelers visit India during this period to attend festivals like Diwali, Dussehra, and Holi or to escape the cold weather in the US. In addition, winter break for schools and universities in the US.
- During this period, flight tickets to India can be more expensive, and it may be more difficult to find good deals. It’s recommended to book your flights well in advance to avoid paying higher prices or missing out on available flights. Also, consider flying mid-week instead of weekends as it can help to find cheaper fares.
- However, if you are looking to travel during a less busy period and avoid the crowds and high prices, consider traveling to India during the off-peak season from March to October. The temperatures can be warmer, but you can still enjoy the sights and attractions while potentially saving money on flights and accommodation.
- Keep in mind that prices are bound to be high during peak travel periods such as summer vacation months (June-August).
General tips for booking cheap tickets to Bangalore (BLR) from San Francisco (SFO)
Although some of these tips are applicable for any flight bookings, you can replace SFO and BLR with any other starting and ending destination from the U.S. to India.
- The best time to buy cheap flight fares from SFO to BLR (San Francisco to Bangalore, India) depends on various factors, including the time of year, the day of the week, and how far in advance you book your tickets. However, here are a few tips that could help you get a better deal on flights:
- Book in advance: Generally, the earlier you book your flights, the better chance you have of finding cheaper fares. Aim to book at least 3-4 months in advance of your travel dates.
- Travel during the low season: The peak travel season for flights from SFO to BLR is from November to February. If you can travel during the off-peak season, which is from March to October, you may be able to find cheaper fares.
- Fly midweek: Flying on weekdays, especially Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, can often be cheaper than flying on weekends.
- Keep an eye out for sales and promotions: Airlines often offer discounts and promotions throughout the year, so it’s a good idea to keep an eye out for these deals.
- Consider connecting flights: If you’re willing to make a stopover, you may be able to find cheaper fares. Look for flights with layovers in cities like Hong Kong, Taipei, or Tokyo.
- Use flight search engines: Use flight search engines like Google Flights, Skyscanner, or Kayak to compare prices and find the best deals.
- Remember that prices can fluctuate frequently, so it’s a good idea to keep an eye on fares and book when you find a good deal.
Flight booking websites we recommend for booking trips to India
There are several search engines and websites that can be used to find and book cheap flights to India. We are not affiliated with anyone whatsoever, so the recommendation is based on our own experience. The popular ones by our preference are:
- Google Flights – Google Flights is a popular search engine that allows users to compare flight prices and schedules across multiple airlines and travel websites. It also provides alerts for price changes and allows users to track their preferred flights.
- Skyscanner – Skyscanner is a travel search engine that compares millions of flights to find the cheapest deals. It also offers price alerts and allows users to search for flights to a specific destination or find the cheapest flights during a certain time period.
- Kayak – Kayak is a travel search engine that allows users to compare prices and book flights, hotels, and rental cars. It also offers price alerts and allows users to search for flights based on their preferred dates and destinations.
- Expedia – Expedia is a popular travel website that allows users to book flights, hotels, rental cars, and vacation packages. It offers a Best Price Guarantee and allows users to save money by booking flights and hotels together.
- CheapOair – CheapOair is a travel booking website that specializes in finding and booking affordable flights. It offers a Price Match Promise and allows users to save money by booking flights and hotels together.
Also, try out Justfly.com as it has certainly been a very useful site to figure out options, and pricing.
PRO TIP – You can use your favorite tool or any of these above in a combination to figure out which airlines are coming up as cheap tickets, and go to the airline website directly and book the ticket from there. Also, note that you’ll likely find prices in low fare websites cheaper than airline websites because they don’t often provide you check-in bag, so you need to read the fine print or review the class that is being booked. (like basic economy sometimes mean no check in baggage.
As noted earlier, it’s important to note that prices can vary depending on the airline, time of year, and how far in advance the ticket is booked. It’s always a good idea to compare prices across multiple websites and book early to get the best deal.
Top Airports in India ranked by passenger traffic and cheap flight fares, with airline suggestions
India has several international and domestic airports that serve millions of passengers every year. Here are some of the top airports in India based on passenger traffic:
- Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi – This is the busiest airport in India and serves the National Capital Region (NCR) of Delhi. It handled over 69 million passengers in 2019.
- New Delhi – New Delhi is a major hub for international flights to India and is served by several airlines. Flights from the United States to New Delhi can be relatively affordable, especially if booked in advance or during off-peak seasons.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai – This airport serves the city of Mumbai and is the second busiest airport in India. It handled over 48 million passengers in 2019.
- Mumbai – Mumbai is another major city in India with a busy international airport. Flights from the United States to Mumbai can also be relatively affordable, especially on budget airlines or during off-peak seasons.
- Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru – This airport serves the city of Bengaluru and is the third busiest airport in India. It handled over 33 million passengers in 2019.
- Bangalore – Bangalore, also known as Bengaluru, is a tech hub in India and has become an increasingly popular destination for travelers. Flights from the United States to Bangalore can be relatively affordable, especially on airlines such as Emirates or Qatar Airways.
- Chennai International Airport, Chennai – This airport serves the city of Chennai and is the fourth busiest airport in India. It handled over 22 million passengers in 2019.
- Chennai – Chennai, located on the southeast coast of India, is a major city with a rich cultural history. Flights from the United States to Chennai can be relatively affordable, especially on airlines such as Air India or British Airways.
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata – This airport serves the city of Kolkata and is the fifth busiest airport in India. It handled over 21 million passengers in 2019.
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad – This airport serves the city of Hyderabad and is the sixth busiest airport in India. It handled over 18 million passengers in 2019.
- Hyderabad – Hyderabad is a growing city in southern India that is becoming increasingly popular with tourists. Flights from the United States to Hyderabad can be relatively affordable, especially on airlines such as Emirates or Qatar Airways.
Other notable airports in India include Cochin International Airport, Goa International Airport, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport (Ahmedabad), and Pune International Airport.
Holiday & festive seasons in India
India is a diverse country with multiple religions, cultures, and traditions. As such, there are several holiday seasons in India throughout the year. Here are some of the major holiday seasons in India:
Diwali – Diwali is one of the biggest and most popular festivals in India. It is also known as the Festival of Lights and is celebrated in late October or early November. It is a five-day festival that marks the victory of light over darkness and good over evil.
Holi – Holi is another major festival in India that is celebrated in late February or early March. It is also known as the Festival of Colors and is celebrated by throwing colored powder and water on each other. It marks the arrival of spring and is a celebration of love and friendship.
Eid al-Fitr – Eid al-Fitr is a religious holiday celebrated by Muslims around the world. It marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan and is celebrated with feasts, family gatherings, and gift-giving. The date of Eid al-Fitr varies each year depending on the Islamic lunar calendar.
Christmas – Christmas is a popular holiday in India, especially in the Christian-majority states of Goa and Kerala. It is celebrated on December 25th and is marked by festive decorations, gift-giving, and feasting.
Independence Day – Independence Day is a national holiday in India celebrated on August 15th. It marks India’s independence from British rule in 1947 and is celebrated with parades, flag-hoisting ceremonies, and cultural events.
It’s important to note that holiday seasons in India can vary depending on the region and the religion of the people living there. It’s always a good idea to research local customs and traditions before visiting a new place during the holiday season.
That’s it, folks! Hope you enjoyed our post, hopefully, you got to know a few important flight travel planning aspects to India. Of course, there is so much more to discuss when it comes to travel planning, and couldn’t be covered in a single post. We felt that these are the highlights, as a comprehensive list, one should keep in mind while planning a flight trip to India.
Come back and check us out again, we hope to bring you more relevant content about travel.